Thursday, February 12, 2009

Well Known, Well Dressed

I felt like a celebrity this morning.

I am meeting with my old friend and professor, Joanne (who had a double mastectomy a few years ago) and a reporter from our local paper this afternoon. The reporter is interviewing me and J re: our choice to forgoe reconstructive surgery.) Her interest in the topic seems to be partly sparked by an upcoming screening of the facetiously titled film, "Absolutely Safe." It's a documentary about breast implants. It's playing here in Boulder on the 26th of this month.

I'm spending the morning doing a little research about the whole issue, so I can sound smarter when I talk to her. I'm really trying to find stats on how many women actually get reconstruction...no luck so far. But I did find this treat:
http://www.blogher.com/after-mastectomy-breast-reconstruction-beauty-and-profit

It's a well written and researched blog article about an Janurary 09 feature in the New York Times. This article ends with quote from me!!! I can't tell you how surprised I was to be reading this article, and taking notes for my upcoming interview...and then seeing MY OWN WORDS. I'm famous! (in a teeny-tiny little cirlcle of my mind.)

Also, among the many many many websites I've visited this morning, looking for hard cold facts about reconstructive surgery, I discovered this treasure:

http://thesongbirdbranch.blogspot.com/

I've been thinking alot about designing some tops that would complement, rather than obscure, my new figure. Thank goodness, some people do more than just think about it. The Song Bird Branch author has some great photos of clothes she's found and/or altered to suit her right-side mastectomy (same as mine.)

Another woman has started a whole new clothing line on this theme!

http://rebel1in8.com/rhea.html (This website also boasts and incredible "resource" page.)

I can't wait to tell you how the interview went!

No comments: