Saturday, December 6, 2008

Yes

On Sunday, we met for breakfast at Bob Evans. All my family that lives in Maryland was there. My mother, sister, grandmother, brother-in-law, and two nephews came. So did my Aunt who lives in Virginia. It was a perfect opportunity for K and I to reveal the secret we've been keeping for weeks.

Well, it wasn't totally a secret. I told my mom right away. But, for everyone else, we wanted to wait and tell them in person. After our breakfast announcement, I told Aunt C. on the phone. I guess my cousins and Uncle G. might find out by talking to her, or by reading this blog...if I don't call them soon. Sorry! Maybe I'll call you today, because I'd rather you hear it from me than read it on this blog.

But even if you read it on this blog, it'll be better than the way my best friend from high school found out. She heard it at work, from a woman she didn't recognize, who turned out to be the grown-up little sister of another friend we'd had in school. This woman knew about it because she'd seen it on my sister's facebook.

I'm getting married.

This is startling to a lot of people. I mean, I wasn't even dating anyone!

But, 12 years ago I was. We were pretty serious. We were pretty happy. I was pretty young. And so, my answer to that first proposal was, "Sweetheart, I'm not the marrying kind. But if I was, you're the kind I'd marry."

At least, that's what I've been told. I don't remember saying that at all. What I do remember saying is, "The very idea of getting married makes me want to take a cold shower."

So, things got kind of weird between us and we stopped dating. But we stayed friends, and always loved each other. I'm sure we would have gotten together again at some point, except that we never managed to both be single at the same time.

For over a decade now, I've been asking myself, "What would have happened if I had said yes to K?" I never know the answer, but I'm always sure that it would have been something good. I'm always sure that we would have been happy and that we would still be together.

I feel so incredibly lucky that I got a second chance to answer the same question from the same person. And I feel absolutely certain that this time, I got it right.

1 comment:

kim the midwife said...

Woo HOo!! I was wondering when you would blog about this wonderful, fantastic secret!!!

I have been off blog reading for a while now- and just catching up.

much love yo you--- and yours.

xoxo