Friday, July 25, 2008

July 7 Diagnosis/Termination

On Monday July 7th 2008 I got a message that my primary care provider (Patty Odum, N.P.) here in Los Osos wanted me to stop by her office to discuss the results of my biopsy. That didn't sound good, but I tried not to think about it.

Instead, I thought about the fact that my interim district manager (Ed Fitzgerald) had called me early that morning to ask me to meet him in Pismo Beach that afternoon. That didn't sound good either.

At 12:30 pm Patty explained that I have ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS), otherwise known as breast cancer. She assured me that this is the best kind of cancer to have. We caught it very early. It is very treatable and it is NOT life threatening.

From there I rushed to the meeting with Ed. He handed me a letter and said, "I have nothing to do with this, I am just the messanger." The letter infomed me that I was being terminated because an investigation found that I had falsified records.

This was a total shock to me. I had gotten two calls in the past month about a call (visit to a doctor/customer) I had submitted in error (wrong time and day.) I had explained how the error happened and thought the matter had been dealt with. I was wrong.

I spent the rest of the day dealing with paperwork, storage unit and sample inventories. I turned over my car and computer. I don't remember what I did after that. I probably just went to bed.

The next morning I woke up and just layed there looking at the clock thinking about how I didn't have to get up because I didn't have a job anymore. I thought a lot about how I had been fired and what I might do next. I spent at least 30 minutes thinking about job stuff before I remembered, darn it, I have breast cancer. Jeez.

No comments: