Saturday, July 26, 2008

July 24th MRI

San Luis Diagnostics should give me a punch card!

I have now had every diagnostic procedure they offer. Since June of this year I have had an X-ray, CT scan, ultra-sound, mammogram, biopsy and MRI.

The MRI was horribly uncomfortable. I wish I'd taken the valium they offer to you if you are claustrophobic. I think it is not so bad if you get to lie on your back...but I was on my stomach with my head in a little cradle, my nose pressed up a piece of cold plastic, and my breasts hanging out through two holes in the platform I was laying on. My arms were up above my head in a position that cut off the circulation so that they were freezing cold until they became completely numb. My feet were freezing too, and there was cold air blowing on my back. You're not supposed to move at all...so I couldn't stretch or re-adjust for thirty minutes. I hate to sound so whiny and complainy...I'm just telling you all this so that if you ever have to have this procedure, you'll take the drugs! Also, say yes when they ask if you want a blanket.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's our Mage - trying to handle it all w/out any accomodations. :-)
We appreciate the education, but next time, take the drugs!!! Please!!

Mary Thomas said...

Hullo there from your friendly neighborhood MRI scheduler! Its hard to explain to patients exactly what its like, thats for sure. They are either trying to be an easy patient, a rough and tough rockstar, or are totally terrified and ask questions like, "Is there going to be oxygen in there?" Hahaha... when someone offers you legal drugs and a blanket, just say yes! MRI or otherwise! :)