Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Cancer as a Career

I know I said I don’t want to be a sales rep anymore. I know I said I want to be a journalist. But, when Liz at Dr. Rocco’s office told me about the Oncotype DX position, I couldn’t help but feel excited.

Kareem, the rep that visits their office, asked her to pass his card on to anyone she could think of who might be a good fit for the job. Right away, she thought of me!

Oncotype DX is a diagnostic tool developed by Genomics Health. It’s designed to help determine the most effective treatment plan for women with Stage I and II breast cancer. The product is doing well, and they are expanding their sales force in California. The new Central Coast position would cover San Luis Obispo and Santa Maria counties, as well as Fresno and Bakersfield.

It would be a LOT of driving. I would hate that. But, it would be a great fit for me otherwise. The lure of that corporate paycheck… not to mention a car and HEALTH INSURANCE…is awfully strong.

Here’s the letter I wrote explaining they should hire me.

Dear Hiring Manager at Genomic Health,

I bet we have something in common. You must be excited about the current success and expansion of your sales force. I’m excited too. This career opportunity perfectly fits my own qualifications and interests.

For the past two years, I’ve enjoyed great success as a pharmaceutical representative on the Central Coast. In this time, I’ve excelled at developing great relationships with practitioners and their staff. I’ve effectively managed a 250 mile territory requiring frequent overnights and meticulous planning. I’ve absorbed vast amounts of technical scientific data and polished my ability to succinctly and convincingly communicate complex ideas.

It’s obvious to me that these experiences and skills would translate beautifully to a position as a Oncotype DX representative.

On a personal note, I am a breast cancer survivor myself. This influences my interest in your open position three different ways.

First, I have a candid inside perspective on how health care providers view Genomic Health. Yesterday, I asked my oncologist what she though about Oncotype DX. She enthusiastically replied, “That’s the wave of the future!” My surgeon and her staff are all similarly convinced that Genomic Health is a forward thinking company making a valuable addition to the array of diagnostic options available to their patients. This is exactly the kind of organization I would be delighted to represent.

Second, I’ve already spent several months this year researching breast cancer, and plan to continue learning all I can. I have a penchant for efficiency and would be delighted to leverage my budding expertise on this topic into a career qualification.

Third, I clearly remember how terrified and confused I was during my diagnostic procedures and surgeries. Knowing first hand how important it is for patients and their providers to feel confident in their treatment plans, I would derive deep satisfaction from helping other women like myself.

Thank you for taking the time to personally review this letter and my attached resume. I look forward speaking with you as soon as practical.

Sincerely,
Mage Morningstar


I called Kareem a few days later asking if he received it okay. He did, and he passed it on to his supervisor. However, he said I’m not really qualified for the job. One of the basic requirements is “oncology experience.”

If I don’t have oncology experience…who does!?

Maybe they will make an exception for me, considering my life experience. But, if the corporate culture at Genomic Health is so rigid that they can’t do that…I don’t want to work there anyway.

No comments: