Tuesday, September 16, 2008

So Many Up Sides

It's weird to feel grateful for having cancer. I wouldn't wish this experience on anyone. And even though I'm totally healthy now, I wouldn't go through it again for ANYTHING. Yet, when I consider the portrait of my life since July seventh, it sure looks top heavy.

That's not to say there haven't been some downers. Yes, I had part of my body surgically removed. I'm still sore and tight and not completely healed. Yes, I lost a lot of sleep worrying about what would happen next. Yes, I underwent some deeply disturbing diagnostic procedures.

But, I feel so clear and confident now about what to prioritize in my life. I feel so acutely aware of the miracles and beauty constantly surrounding me. And even now, I continue to meet amazing people I wouldn't have had the chance to know otherwise.

Yesterday, while waiting in my oncologists office, surrounded by other cancer patients, I met a fellow survivor who glows with an inspiring zest for life. It was the best introduction ever. J. came up to me and said, "I recognize you from your blog!" How fun! I felt like a famous author.

That was also the day I met Dr. Kennedy. (see photo) I enthusiastically count her among the amazing people cancer brought into my life. I will write more about her later, and more about yesterday's other four medical appointments very soon.

I'm sorry I haven't written anything in the last week, and that today's post is so short. There is so much going on in my life all of a sudden, it's been hard to find the time. But, I should have plenty of it soon...and I've got LOTS I want to post about. So, don't give up on this blog!

No comments: