Tuesday, October 14, 2008

It's All About the Accessories

orthotics : The design, manufacture and installation of orthopedic appliances to support, straighten or iprove the function of a body part.

prosthesis (plural prostheses) : An artificial replacement for a body part, either internal or external.

The last time I saw Dr. Rocco, she asked me if I'd gotten my compression sleeve yet. I hadn't. I'm young and in pretty good physical shape. I'd only had 4 lymph nodes removed from under my right arm. I didn't think I really needed it.


lymph node (plural lymph nodes) : (anatomy, immunology) Small oval bodies of the lymphatic system, distributed along the lymphatic vessels, that are clustered in the armpits, groin, neck, chest and abdomen. They act as filters, with an internal honeycomb of connective tissue filled with lymphocytes and macrophages that collect and destroy bacteria, viruses and foreign matter from lymph. When the body is fighting an infection, these lymphocytes multiply rapidly and produce a characteristic swelling of the lymph nodes.


"That's fine," she said, "You probably won't need it. But you need to get one eventually because you must wear it when you are on an airplane, and you should always have it with you if you are above 6,000 feet altitude. The change in atmospheric pressure increase your chances of developing lymphoedema."


lymphoedema : Swelling of the subcutaneous tissues caused by obstruction of the lymphatic drainage. It results from fluid accumulation and may arise from surgery, radiation or the presence of a tumour in the area of the lymph nodes.


"I guess I'd better go get one then," I responded. "I'm flying to Colorado the day after tomorrow."


Denver is called the "Mile High City" because it sits at an elevation of 5280 feet. Boulder is located at 5400 feet altitude. Jamestown's elevation is 6,926 feet. Nederland sits at 8236 feet.


I tried to get one at the same place where I got Phyllis, but they didn't have them in stock. They could measure me for it the next day. I'd have to take time out from cleaning and packing for a 6 week trip, borrow a car again, and drive back down to Santa Maria. What a hassle. Then, they could send it to me in Colorado, but that would mean I'd have to fly without it. Scary.


Initially lymphoedema may only cause cosmetic concerns or heaviness and difficulty with some movements. The presence of extra tissue fluid can also make the patient more likely to develop infection in the tissues (cellulitis). The lymph fluid itself is very rich in protein and is an ideal fluid for bacterial growth. This can occur even after a minor injury. When this occurs the arm can swell to a greater extent. It will become red, tender and painful and the patient will probably feel generally unwell. Treatment for lymphoedema needs to be intensive and lifelong. Lymphoedema cannot be cured, but it can be controlled.




I tried the other place in Santa Maria that offers them. They didn't take my insurance, but cash payment would only be $50. I could swing that, but, they didn't have them in stock either. Again, the person who does the measurements wouldn't be in until tomorrow. Ugh.


I asked Dr. Rocco if I could just use an Ace bandange or something. "No," she said, "You wouldn't know how tight to make it. You could end up making it worse."




Hassle. Hassle. Hassle.




At this point I felt really irritated that I hadn't just gotten one already. I had lots of time while Mom was here, and a car, and someone to help me deal with all this stuff. Everyone (except me) knew I was going to need one sooner or later. I wish someone had suggested I go get fitted for a sleeve back when cancer was my full-time job. I hated scrambling to get one now, six weeks after my surgery. I was trying to get on with my life and do things that weren't all about cancer for a change.




So, I did what I usually do when I get that irritated. I just blew it off. I stretched a lot on the airplane. I sat with my elbows above my head and massaged my right arm with my left hand. It seemed to work. I didn't have any swelling. Thank goodness.

No comments: