Monday, October 13, 2008

Where We Met

I love libraries. The first thing I do after moving to any new town is to go and get a library card. It took me a year and a half, and being pulled over and officially reprimanded twice, before I finally traded my Colorado driver’s license in for a California one. But, I got my Central Coast Black Gold Library Card the same week I drove out for my first job interview in Santa Barbara. I wouldn’t officially move across the country for another six months, but I could borrow as many books as I could carry from any branch between Ventura and Monterey.

As much as I love getting library cards is exactly how much I hate giving my cards up when I move away. Instead, I keep a folder at home filled with cards from every place I’ve ever lived as an adult, just in case I go back to those towns and need to check something out. When I travel to see family on the East Coast, I make sure to bring both my Frederick County and Hagerstown County library cards, just in case.

Of course, I try to keep track of due dates and turn things in on time. But, I usually keep things too long or loose them altogether. It’s funny, but while I balk at paying full price for a book or magazine at Borders, I will happily hand over tens and twenties and all the change in the bottom of my purse to the library staff. They are always so sweetly apologetic. “I’m afraid you have some fines.” They try to break the news gently. “You can pay it today if you want, or you can wait until next time.” They don’t want me to feel pressured or uncomfortable. I think they are embarrassed to take my dollars and cents. As I see it, they are librarian-angels, guardians and guides of knowledge, who toil blissfully in a realm far removed from the taint of filthy lucre.

But I’m not embarrassed to give it to them. I delight in supporting my favorite institution. Few things make me happier. In fact, when I am stuck in those awkward social situations where everyone else is putting their hands to their hearts for a patriotic chant, it’s libraries that save me. I look at that flag and think about all the people killed for it, and I cannot move my lips or open my palm. But, if I can, in those moments, remember our national free library system, my chest swells with pride and I pledge allegience just as loudly as anyone.

I’m telling you all this so you’ll understand how wide I’m smiling when I write that my best love story ever starts with,

“We met at the library.”

No comments: