Monday, August 11, 2008

August 11th Third day of recovery

Today is a bad day.

The first day after surgery was okay. I took lots of drugs and watched my favorite movies. Good friends stopped by to check in on me and bring me home-made treats. Flowers were delivered. Mom and my ex (who I still love so much) babied me all day long.

The second day after surgery was okay too. It was Sunday. I slept alot. More friends. More movies. More food. More flowers. I cried because the whole thing has been sad and scary. I cried because I feel so loved and supported by such incredible wonderful people. I cried and felt better.

Now it's Monday; the first business day of my new cancer-free life. I thought I'd feel better enough by now to stop taking the Vicodin and smarten-up for a while. After all, I've got stuff to do! I've been putting off really dealing with the other half of my double whammy for a full month now. It's time to get a job and a car and rent my house out and file for unemployment and write about ten thousand thank you notes!

Instead of getting a good night's sleep, I woke up at 1:00 am with a serious headache, the kind that feels like there is an iron band around your head and it is much much much much MUCH too tight. I took some ibuprofen and went back to bed.

I woke up around 7:30 feeling like I'd been beat up. It hurts a little where I had the surgery, but mostly my whole body is cramped up and achey from walking, sitting and laying down funny all weekend. I want SO much to lift things with both hands, put a shirt on over my head and take a nap on my right side. I want to tear off all the dressing and tape and scratch myself silly. I want my head to stop hurting!

I managed to do a little paperwork. I posted an ad on craigslist so someone will come and live in my house and pay my rent for me. I filled out the form to appeal the decision of the Employment Development Department of California so that maybe I can collect unemployment afterall. I balanced by checkbook and paid my bills.

Then I just lost it. I feel so crummy. I feel so angry and crabby and mean and ugly and I just hate everyone and everything and wish I could take a shower. (I can't because the dressing can't get wet.) I cried some more but it wasn't the kind of crying that feels like a relief and things seem brighter when you stop. I cried and it felt awful to cry and I still felt awful when I stopped. I just feel awful and I can't say exactly why and I can't say exactly what would make me feel better.

It is weird to have this huge bandage and sore spot and know that I am healing, but that even when I'm "all better" and they remove the bandage I'm not going to be good as new. There's going to be part of me missing. I feel like a silly whiney baby being so upset about it. I'm so glad I don't have cancer and so lucky it was never life-threatening. I'm so grateful I didn't have to go through chemotherapy and that I had such nice people taking care of me in the hospital.

I don't feel like I won't be pretty or sexy or desirable anymore.
I don't feel like some part of my life is going to be worse now that I only have one breast.
I don't know why I'm so angry and upset.

But I am, and I thought I'd write about it because so much of the stuff I read about getting through cancer is UPBEAT and POSITIVE and sometimes I just want to read about how much it really sucks.

I guess I should have expected to feel like this today. It's the first day after my surgery that I'm not all drugged up. Of course this would be the day that I would have a whole bunch of ugly confusing feelings come up. I wish I had given myself permission in the beginning of the day to just do nothing today but have these feelings and do what I needed to do to deal with them. I wish I hadn't struggled to "get a grip" and be my business-minded, take-charge self.

I'm going to give myself permission now and have popcorn for supper and watch Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion and A Room With a View.

P.S.
I told Mom, "I'm crabby today. I'm upset and grumpy and hate everything." She just looked at me all loving and kind and said, "Okay sweetie." I know some of you might try to argue with me on this point, but I am sure I am right...I have the best mom in the world.

2 comments:

kim the midwife said...

i'm gonna say it: i'm glad to read your DOWN and NEGATIVE. that's part of it, i assume. it's good for you. it's refreshing to see the hard stuff. thanks for being vulnerable.

i am sorry the crying didn't make you feel a little better, though. that really sucks to swell up your eyes and heave your ribs and come out the other side just the same.

i'd be really really angry and upset to lose a boob, with or without cancer. i love my boobs.

Carrie said...

You're so wonderfully honest and generous with your experience. Thank you for that, and I hope that other women out there find your diary and it helps them get through it. Oh, and yes--you're mom's totally wonderful!