Friday, August 29, 2008

What to say.

People want make me feel better about my new lopsided figure. A surprising number of them look at me and say, "Don't worry, I can't even tell!" This is kind and well meant, I know. But, it doesn't make me feel any better at all! Imagine gaining 30 pounds, or getting a terrible haircut, or accidentally wearing your creepy halloween costume to work a week early. Hearing, "I can't even tell," makes you wonder if you've just always looked bad.

Yesterday I went on a walk with my big-tough-muscley-rugby-guy friend, E. He is exactly not Mr. Sensitive. He's always really nice to me, but he just says what's on his mind and doesn't bother to worry about how his comments are going to sound to other people.

Also, he is a pinnacle of heterosexual masculinity. He is about as far on the other side of the gender spectum from me as a person could get. I firgured he'd have a real attatchement to the idea of breasts on a woman, and see them as a indispensable facet of female desirablility. I expected him to wonder why I wasn't getting re-construction.

Instead, while I was lamenting my loss, he said, "Dude, whatever! Scars are hot."

This is the very best comment I've had yet! I didn't loose a breast, I gained a sexy new scar!

Of course, then he had to go ruin it with, "Dude. It's not like you had that much in the first place."

1 comment:

Carrie said...

HAHAHAHAHA!! That's just awesome. And scars ARE hot. Personally, I've always thought they're a sign of a life well-lived, of experiences had, chances taken, and really good stories. I'm so glad you're sharing so many of your good stories with us.