Friday, August 8, 2008

August 8th Becoming an Amazon

I think "Amazon Upgrade" sounds so much better than "Mastectomy!"
(Thank you for the suggestion, J!)

Actually, according to Wikipedia; the word "Amazon" may actually mean "without a breast."

Among Classical Greeks, amazon was given a naive etymology as from a- (privative) + mazos, "without breast", connected with an etiological tradition that Amazons had their right breast cut off or burnt out, so they would be able to use a bow more freely and throw spears without the physical limitation and obstruction; there is no indication of such a practice in works of art, in which the Amazons are always represented with both breasts, although the right is frequently covered.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazons

The photo shoot yesterday went great. I don't think it's prudent to put up topless photos of myself on this blog...but if you want some just let me know. I like that there is now proof of the fact that I once had two breasts! Maybe if I ask really nice, D. will repeat the favor and take some "after" shots once I've healed.

R. loaned us her Subaru Outback this week, which has been great! (I still haven't decided on a car to buy, and the rental car was getting really expensive.) I folded down the back seat and decked it out with a sleeping mat and blankets so if Mom get sick of being in the hospital today, she can go out to the car and take a nap. If you have her cell phone number, please call and check in on her today. I'll be drugged up or passed out for most of the day, so I'll be fine. But, I worry she'll have a rough day. The hospital is nice, but it's still an awful place to have to spend the day.

Also, after 35 years of doing her best to make sure I'm okay...it must be hard for her, knowing that someone is going to be coming at me with a knife in a few hours. Even worse...rather than doing something to keep it from happening, she is the one who is driving me down to the place where they're doing it! It must be a real head trip.

I have to go get ready now. My bedroom is a mess and I want to come home to a clean home.

(Thank You, R. for cleaning my kitchen yesterday while we were gone! It was a wonderful surprise!)

Also, Thank you C. for sending me your old laptop! It came yesterday and I haven't really opened it yet, but I'm so glad to have it. (I did read the card and just the picture on the front made me cry. You're such a wonderful friend.)

The next time I update this blog...I won't have cancer anymore!

And...I will be a true Amazon!

2 comments:

JG said...

M, you are inspiring. We love you and are with you in spirit today. I told C that you could cry when you got the laptop. Doesn't she rock? Love you, Amazon Woman. J, J and K.

Anonymous said...

I second jg's comments. You are truly inspiring, Mage. Maybe you could take up archery?
Love always, K