Saturday, August 30, 2008

August 30th Relocation

I'm all moved in. Well, kind of. The things I need are here in this beautiful little studio. I'm here too. But, all my things are still in the crates, and I am worn out. I'll start unpacking tomorrow.

I am able to get on-line using the unsecured wireless from one of my new neighbors. I've opened the french doors wide out onto the brick patio that overlooks the garden. I can see the rolling hills that stand between this artsy college town and the ocean. I can hear a mourning dove in the tree right outside my window. This is going to be a wonderful place sit and write in my journal every morning.

I am still really sore on my right side, slightly swollen and unable to really use my arm like normal. But, I'm getting better every day. The worst part right now is that the skin around the incision has become super-sensitive so that even the sensation of my loose Tshirt moving across that area is totally annoying! Also, I still get physically tired a lot faster than I used to. That might just be because I'm out of shape from my 7 weeks of sofa-centric lifestyle.

I hardly had to do any work at all today. Two really nice friend of mine did all the lifting and carrying. Actually, one of them was just a friend of a friend...but I hope she'll be my friend too from now on. I plan on being hers.

When they had brought all my bags and boxes up the hill from the road, my very sweet and talented new neighbor, H., invited us to sit with her at the table and chairs right outside her kitchen door. She served us (I am not making this up) home-made scones fresh from her oven, red raspberries and Devonshire cream, with a glass of iced tea on the side. I felt like I had died and gone to South West England. This is the same young lady who has promised to play the baby grand for me. I might never want to leave!

Another generous friend, J. (Gosh, I feel so wealthy with all these good friends!) has loaned me her Honda CRV for the week, so I'll be able to easily shop for the things I need to make this little one room apartment into a livable space. First, I need a mini-fridge and a microwave.

It's getting dark now and I'm going to bed feeling very 80% grateful, 19% hopeful and just 1% scared of what happens next.

I plan to spend the rest of this 3 day weekend unpacking and exploring my new home. Tuesday thru Friday my main occupation will be dealing with all the issues around being unemployed. Next weekend I'm going to clean out my old house, pack things up for storage, and make a trip to Goodwill so the house will be ready for my new tennants when they move in on the 13th.

I hope everyone out there is having a wonderful holiday mini-break! Please enjoy every minute of it!

No comments: