Tuesday, August 5, 2008

If love and support could cure cancer, I wouldn't have it anymore.

I know I've mentioned several times how sweet everyone has been to me since my double whammy hit. I've been wanting to write about it, but I'm afraid I'll leave something out and someone will feel like I didn't appreciate them. But I'm going to risk it and hope you all know that I love and appreciate you for everything you've done...even if it's just a voicemail telling me you are thinking of me.

I won't mention names, so you can all stay anonymous if you wish...but I just have to share some of this.

One:
Some very dear friends of mine offered to loan me their truck so I could go pick up a friend from the airport, only 12 miles from my house. (Remember, when I got fired they took my company car away.) It was so sweet and generous of them. This was just a couple of days after I got my termination/diagnosis news and I was just starting to put the pieces back together. They asked me if I could drive a stick shift, and I said yes...even though it had been a few years since I had. Iwas nervous, but I thought I was doing fine. I was paying really close attention to when I was shifting...trying not to shift too early or too late...and then I heard this big popping noise. Uh oh. I pulled over and the truck was shaking really hard and all the engine oil was gushing out the side like one of those fire hydrants in the city on a hot summer day when they open them and let the kids play in water. Apparently the truck threw a rod. To the best of my understanding the engine is now completely destroyed. Geez. I feel just awful about it, even though I have been assured that it was not my fault and that these things just happen sometimes. My friends were real sweet to me about it, and I just hope that I can do something for them in the future to help make up for the expense and trouble they are going through about the truck. Here is the proof that these are just exceptional, loving, generous people. AFTER they loaned me their truck and got it back destroyed...they loaned me BOTH their brand new mountain bikes so that my visiting friend and I would be able to ride around Los Osos together. So far, nothing bad has happened to the bikes.

Two:
Several people have offered that I could come and live with them for free if I need some time to deal with the cancer stuff and figure out what I'm going to do for a job. Gosh! People are so nice to me! (It's looking like I might take somebody up on that, at least for a few months.) However, the most exceptional offer came from my landlady. She told me she wished she could tell me I could just stay in my house for a few months rent free...but since she can't afford that, I could come live with her in HER house for as long as I needed to. She has a spare room and would even FEED me. It seems like all the time people complain about their landlords...and here I have one who is willing to give me free room and board if I need it. How did I get so lucky?

Three:
My landlady is not the only one trying to turn the usual client/service provider relationship on it's head. My massage therapist offered me free massages! My personal trainer (athletic coach) has been researching cancer diagnosis procedures and treatments on line to share information with me. AND she and her husband gave me the computer that I am now using to deal with unemployement filing, searching for jobs, updating my resume, researching cancer treatments, finding housemates, paying my bills on time, shopping for cars and writing this blog!

Four:
Lots of people want to make sure I'm getting alternative healing attention too. I figure if somebody thinks it will help, I might as well try it. My cousin's been researching turkey-tail mushrooms. Another dear friend is sending me bottles of marine phytoplankton to take everyday. It must be expensive, and I am so grateful, especially since it tastes good. More dramatically, one night when I had been sick all day, I was poking around for a midnight snack and found my fridge had been stealthily stocked while I was sleeping. It was filled with healthy snacks and anti-oxidant rich beverages like white pomagranate tea and berry smoothies. Also, there were half a dozen bottles of Kombucha, a fermented beverage that I am unsuccesfully striving to acquire a taste for. The most dramatic offer yet came from my sister...mother of my two very young nephews. She emailed me a link to an article that extolls the virtues of breast milk in treating cancer. She's still nursing her youngest and the subject heading of her email was, "I've got this!" She is going to freeze some and send it to me. Now that is a devoted sister! Here is the link.

http://discovermagazine.com/1999/jun/featcancer
http://www.infactcanada.ca/milkkillscancer.htm

I've got lots more to add to this list but its getting late and I have to go to bed now!

Love to you all,
Magi




2 comments:

ipa said...

Tomorrow I go for a check-up and with fingers crossed I hope my throat cancer will be gone. My husband is 4th stage prostate cancer.
I will hold you in my heart. Be strong.
IPA

Anonymous said...

Mage, I'm sending positive thoughts/prayers your way everyday. Just wanted to let you know.
Love, Kate