Friday, August 15, 2008

August 16th One week Mastectoversary

Whew! What a day.

I finally checked my voice mail. It's been days...maybe all week. Thank you everyone for your sweet sweet sweet, and sometimes hilarious messages!

I only called one person back. I'm just too tired. Sorry, I will next week...promise!

The one person I called back was Kevin from the Yacht Club in Morro Bay. He called to ask if I could crew on a two day sailing race! Oh! I am so bummed! I wish I could, but right now I can hardly drive a car. I had to call him right back, so he won't think I'm not interested for next time. For everyone else, whatever you called about, please know...I am still interested!

Today Mom and I had a big day. We shopped for more cars. I still didn't find one. The P.T. Cruiser I had my eye on has transmission trouble, according to the guys at Morin Automotive.

Then we went down to Santa Maria to get my big padded bandage removed and the drainage bulb pulled out. Ugh. It hurt! But, it was worth it. I am so happy not to have that plastic bulb hanging off my body any more! It feels so much better. I couldn't believe how far inside me that tube went. I kept my eyes scrunched up tight, so I couldn't see anything. But, I could feel Dr. R pulling it out and it seemed like it just kept coming and coming and coming.

With the padding gone, and all the tape that held it on gone too, I don't itch any more! Also, without that double D padding, I am now completely flat on my right side, except for a little swelling that should go down soon.

After Dr. R was finished, I kept my eyes closed and asked mom to put my shirt back on for me. I am just not ready to look at it or touch it. Mom looked at it. She says there is still a small bandage over the actual incision, so she couldn't see that. But, the skin on my chest looks really pink and healthy. I guess on that side I look just like a kid again...without the nipple.

When we got home, I had two packages waiting for me. Inside were: A pink ribbon Care Bear, a mechanical rooster in a pirate costume, and two cans of silly string. In case you know someone else who just went through a breast cancer experience, let me tell you...this is EXACTLY what will make them feel better about the whole thing. How can you possible feel down with a Care Bear, rooster pirate and silly string? I don't know why I didn't go out and get them for myself the very day I got diagnosed.

I am trying to figure out how to write that without it sounding sarcastic...but I am too tired to figure it out. I am just going to say...I am NOT being sarcastic.

Also, the rooster matches my kitchen perfectly, and the Care Bear matches my bedroom. These are friends who pay attention to the details!

Mom flies home to Maryland tomorrow. I'd be really sad about it except that I just feel so lucky about having her here for the last 4 weeks.

Just a few hours after she leaves, my wonderful friend C. arrives from Denver. She'll be here for a week.

After that, I should be able to take care of myself again.

No comments: